Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Smoking Ban

Here in Virginia the big wigs are talking about banning smoking in all public buildings. I am a smoker for ten years now. I believe that it should be the right of all people to enjoy a mean in a smoke free environment.

People here are talking about taking rights away from the people and the owners of restaurants and bars. I guess the people that can't be around smoke for one reason or another have no rights. To me it is simple I smoke but i have no right to impose my bad habits on another person or child.

I lived in California when they banned smoking in all public buildings and i can tell you what it didn't hurt business one bit. For any bar or restaurant that banned smoking. I am surprised by some of the comments on a local news paper web site about how this is taking away our rights. I think that majority rules, the majority of the people do not smoke so there for when people who smoke and people who do not smoke the people who smoke are shit out of luck.

I do not look at it as removing rights but as a public health problem. That is being addressed. There is no reason that a smoker like myself can not sit down to dinner and not smoke. You are not going to die if you do not have a smoke for one hour.

No comments: